Saturday, January 23, 2010

Weekend Breakfast - French Toast

Posted by Picasa

We had another mutual Saturday morning off work, and we took advantage of it to the fullest! Matt cooked again and this week he decided to do a classic breakfast: French toast, bacon (thus fulfilling our bacon-and-egg requirement), and fruit.

For the French toast, he modified a recipe from one of my favorite standard cookbooks, Fannie Farmer's Boston Cooking School Cookbook. It's a very simple recipe, calling only for eggs, sugar, salt, milk, and of course bread. Matt added cinnamon to the mix and fried the toast in lots of melted butter, which in my opinion makes anything taste amazing. Of course we topped it with real Vermont maple syrup, made at the ranch where our friend Ryan used to work.

The addition of fruit (pineapple and blueberries) was an attempt to add some semblance of healthiness to our meal. This was probably completely negated by the fact that we each ate four pieces of bacon...actually, I ate five. But some fruit is better than no fruit, right?

2 comments:

  1. Of all the comments I have, this is the most important: Bacon is not not good for you. It's still natural and better than a lot of other things you could eat. Bacon and butter: They get bad press, but don't believe everything you hear, read in the papers or see on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everytime someone tells me about bacon (which happens a lot) I think of this bit from a blog (via New York Times maybe?). She begins by talking about her crappy day (sick cat, homeless man yelling at her, hate mail, etc) but still has a smile on her face because:

    Ahem. Like I said, I’m not good at writing about sex, or maybe no one is. But the way I feel about last night is the way I felt about bacon after I started eating meat again after 1o years of vegetarianism. Which was: I wanted everyone to understand how important, how absolutely essential bacon is. I wanted to tell people about bacon. I actually did tell people, several times. “Have you had bacon? It’s like a potato chip made out of meat!” Bacon. Man, bacon is delicious!

    Now you know where my mind is when discussing bacon. Soy bacon does not have the same effect I suppose.

    ReplyDelete