Friday, April 2, 2010

Friday Breakfast - Healthy Style

Posted by Picasa

So I don't normally post about breakfast, because to be honest I don't normally eat it. At least, I don't eat it before leaving the house. I usually grab some kind of breakfast-like-snack (Luna bar, bagel, etc.) during the morning hours of my work day, but I rarely manage to make myself any kind of breakfast worth posting to a food blog.

Lately, however, Matt and I have been making smoothies in the morning. He developed this recipe and I love it both for how good it tastes and how good it makes me feel. Having two full servings of fruit and some protein in the AM will really kick-start your day! Here's the recipe we use.

Add these ingredients to the blender first:
  • Big pinch of flax seeds
  • Handful of whole almonds
  • 1/2 a carrot, cut into pieces
  • 1 banana broken into pieces
  • 1 cup (ish) of frozen fruit -- we like to use a mixed berry blend, because it's delicious and cheap
Add vanilla soymilk to about halfway up your pile of fruit. Then add fruit juice (we use organic pomegranate juice) to the top of the fruit pile. Blend and drink! This does tend to make a runnier smoothie, so if you like yours thick-as-a-milkshake, add less liquid or more fruit. Breakfast that's healthy and tastes like dessert...definitely a winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment